Friday, July 22, 2011

Glorious in All Your Ways

Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.
-Isaiah 43:7
We were created to follow and GLORIFY God. The glory of God always has an impact when we truly give our all to Him. Numbers 20:6 says, 'Then Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly to the entrance of the tent of meeting and fell on their faces. And the glory of the LORD appeared to them.' Moses and Aaron fell on their faces when they encountered the glory of God. Wow. There have only been a couple times in my walk with God that I fell to my knees face down. God definitely makes Himself known through His glory. I desire nothing but to truly seek the glory of the Lord. In a lot of Old Testament references, the Hebrew word for "glory" is kavodh and it means "weight, honor, esteem." This term actually comes from the Hebrew word kavedh and means to "be renowned...to show oneself great or mighty." In most New Testament references the Greek word for glory is doxa and means "the true apprehension of God or things. Giving glory to God is attributing to Him His full recognition. 

I have been called by His name and it is amazing that God wants to make Himself known TO me and THROUGH me. 

Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." -1 Corinthians 10:31
 The Lord wants to use our hands and feet to make Himself known to others. We are called to spread the good news of who He is and what He has done for us by sending His only Son to the cross. We cannot live a life that glorifies God unless we are also living a life that reveals God to others. This is a huge calling for our lives but Deuteronomy 31: 6 tells us, "be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Also, I am incredible imperfect. This actually reminds me of how God is working through me at Buffalo Wild Wings where I work:

When I first interviewed for the job last summer, my manager Andrew was the one who had interviewed me. I had just gotten back from Ghana for a missions trip through Campus Crusade for Christ and had mentioned that in the interview. Andrew randomly remembered this part of my interview back in November. Andrew actually studied religion for 7 years in college but does not believe that he could have a personal relationship with an invisible God. However, almost every shift Andrew asks me random spiritual questions of what I think on certain subjects and just what I believe in general. I have gotten to share many things about what I believe with Andrew...and anyone who is around at the time because he always ask questions right in the middle of me running drinks or food. One day in April I was at work and it was mid-afternoon so I had one table and almost all my coworkers were hanging out in the kitchen. My table had gotten only 6 wings when they were supposed to get 8 so I went back into the kitchen and asked for 3 wings right away to give them an extra for waiting. The kitchen guys looked at me like I was crazy and said they were going to give me 2 because that is what I needed. I politely asked for 3 again and Andrew was actually standing next to them but was not listening. The kitchen guys asked Andrew what was going on and he replied, "I don't know but just trust her and listen to her." I was kind of shocked. He then announced to all my coworkers that he trusts me because, "I have a growing relationship with God." Wow. I didn't really know how to react but it was such a blessing that it was announced and that my manager just trusts me. Although this story is just the beginning of what the Lord is doing at Buffalo Wild Wings, I am still sinful. I still complain during some shifts when customers are rude. I still find myself "slacking off" just a little bit once in awhile. After I process how a shift went on these occasions I can't help but to go back and ask myself how I was revealing Christ to my coworkers or customers that shift. I definitely have felt failure. However, I fully believe that our God is far too persistent to let my sin get in the way of the work He is doing to show His glory to those around me at work. I am incredible thankful 100 times over for this truth to say the least. Paul declared in Colossians 1:27 that, "God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." The mystery of Christ actually dwells inside each of us if we are believers through having the Holy Spirit. If we are not filled by the Holy Spirit, we have nothing of God in us for Him to show. In order to be filled with the Holy Spirit, we need to spend time in the presence of God and His glory will transform us and radiate from us. I have found in my own life that in order to be filled with the Spirit at every moment, I need to be continually confessing sin and trusting in God's forgiveness for those sins, as well as constantly standing on God's truth alone. 

Lord, I confess self-sufficiency from at work today and I confess frustration from a horrible shift because of my self-sufficiency. Thank You for Your promise that You are Sovereign and in-control. Lord, I confess not having desire to show Christ's love to my sister and her new boyfriend that has moved into our house. Thank You for Your truth that I cannot love on my own and that You are love. Lord, I confess anger. I confess bitterness. I confess unbelief that You are big enough to mend relationships with my family. Lord, I pray and trust that you will continually break down these walls. I pray and trust that you will continually use my hands and feet even though I am sinful and my heart has ugliness. I pray and trust that you will protect me from the enemy's lies and deception. Thank you for blessing me beyond what I deserve. Lord, most of all, thank you for breaking my heart for You alone and allowing me to love through You alone. 

Here are just a couple questions that I desire to constantly think about:
1. Do I desire God's glory or my own? I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. -John 8:50
2. In my service to others, is my sincere hope that they will somehow see God in me? 

 How do you experience God's glory in and through you?

No comments:

Post a Comment